- Professional representative before EUIPO
He joined CURELL SUÑOL in 2010. Associate in the firm’s Barcelona office, Emil advises clients on matters related to trademarks, copyright, designs, patents, domain names, and unfair competition. His work focusses on infringement issues and enforcement strategies. He represents clients before the Commercial Courts in infringement and cancellation actions, before the High Court of Justice in prosecution matters, and before the CJUE in issues of EU trademarks. He also handles office proceedings before the SPTO and EUIPO and has experience in UDRP proceedings before the WIPO.
He formerly worked in the IP boutique Roland & Douglas.
Emil earned a Law degree from the University of Barcelona, Spain, in 2008, with a semester spent at the University of Sheffield, UK, under the LifeLong Learning Programme of the European Commission. He holds a Master’s degree in Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law from ESADE Business & Law School, Spain (2011). He has later taken the courses “Advanced Course on Electronic Commerce and Intellectual Property” (WIPO Academy), “Fashion Law”, “Pharmaceutical Law”, and “Law of Competition, Unfair Competition, and Advertisement” (ICAB). He is currently pursuing Master’s degrees in Sports Law from the University of Valencia, Spain, and in International Football Law from Sports Law Institute, Spain.
- Barcelona Bar Association (ICAB)
- International Trademark Association (INTA) – Internet Committee, ICANN Engagement Subcommittee
- European Community Trademark Association (ECTA) – Copyright Committee
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Spanish Association of Sports Law (AEDD)
- Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars – rated “Rising Star 2020/21”
- Leaders League – included in the ranking “Spain – Best Law Firms for Trademark Litigation”
- “Las ‘sustancias de abuso’ en el anteproyecto de la nueva Ley antidopaje”, IUSPORT, 13/10/2020
- “European Union: ‘Addresses’ Does Not Cover Email, Telephone, or Internet Address”, INTA Bulletin, August 5, 2020 | Vol. 75 Issue 17, Section Law & Practice
- “La competencia territorial en litigios de propiedad industrial”, Diario LA LEY (ISSN 1989-6913), nº 9664, Sección Doctrina, 01/07/2020, Wolters Kluwer
- “Koton vs. EUIPO – You act in bad faith when you try to undermine a third party’s interests or have no intention to use your mark”, ECTA Bulletin, March 2020, Issue VI
- “Tumblr: ¿es posible fomentar la creatividad sin proteger a los creadores?”, El Derecho, 01/03/2013
- “Merchandising de personajes audiovisuales de ficción: hacer negocios de los Jedi, Bart Simpson y Pocoyó”, Copyrait.com, 2011
Recent and upcoming speaking engagements
- “Street Art and Copyright in the U.S. and EU: Work of Art or Criminal Conduct?”, Moderator, Table Topic, INTA’s 2020 Annual Meeting & Leadership Meeting, 18/11/2020
- “Cómo proteger tu diseño contra copias”, Panelist, Conference at Barcelona Design Week 2019, Barcelona, Spain, 13/06/2019
- “Droit d’auteur & Espace public / Monuments Publics et Street Art / France – Brésil – Espagne”, Panelist, presentation “Public Monuments and Street Art – Spain”, Arenaire Breakfast Conference, Paris, France, 29/01/2019
Languages: Spanish, English, Bulgarian, and Catalan.